Wednesday, June 18, 2008

goings-on.


Just another day at the office, having no other choice but to listen to this god-forsaken country "music." at least the radio station has been better about changing it up a bit. i heard a new song today, well it was new to me. It actually made me laugh out loud, prompting my co-worker Jenn to inquire as to what was making me giggle..."Did he just say, 'she's rockin' the beer gut'?"
She confirmed this to be true.
Wow.
I must admit that this lyric has made all of my insecurities surrounding my drinking paunch fade, as it sounds as though maybe it's not such a bad thing, and perhaps it is viewed as a highest form of honor or a mark of Buddha in some faraway land, like Alcoholpulco or New Drinkingland. I should see the bulge that rests atop my beltloop symbolically, that I have enough to drink.
And I am lucky for that.
Or am I?
But as for new music on the country radio station, there isn't much. In fact, I'd say nearly half of the songs played on there were originally belonging to someone else. Like All4One's "I can love you like that" or Edwin McCain's "I'll Be" or anything by Kelly Clarkson. To my suprise, Darius Rucker, formerly of Hootie & the Blowfish fame, has just released his first country album. Didn't see that coming. Who's next?

On another note, it's a slightly dismal day here and all I want to is to crawl in my bed and be all cozy and sleepy warm, listening to the rain outside my windows. But instead, I sit here, typing away andd wishing the next 3 and half hours away, which is something I greatly dislike to do.

My wedding planning has temporarily halted. We set a date, and it seems still a little
too far to start ordering favors, tables and chairs, and all that jazz. But I have to say, I think our $5000 budget will go a long way. It will hopefully include our honeymoon expenses, plane tickets and resort in Turquoise Bay, Honduras! I've already planned for the flowers...my downstairs neighbor and I will be planting them in the spring, hundreds of zinnias in all colors, fuscia, oranges, yellows, whites...they will be included as bouquets in my centerpieces, in various vases, pots, lemonade pitchers, mason jars, wine bottles...a mishmash that throws uniformity to the wind.
Did I mention the date is September 4, 2009? That will be the day that Travis and I exchange our written vows in front of immediate family and the closest of friends, on the coast of Winter Harbor, ME. We've arrangedthis with the owners of the B&B and they are having a lobster bake for the party in their backyard...it should be wonderfully splendid. Two days later, the sixth, will be our reception hopefully in his mom's backyard, back in NY. That's also the day of my parents 35th wedding anniversary.


I'm also in this hyphenation contemplation. Shall I be Marissa Olivera? Marissa Fiorentino-Olivera? Or just plain old Marissa Fiorentino? I feel attached to my last name. How will people know I am still a Fiorentino? I love it when people ask me if I am related to or know so and so.

Having all this excess time throughout my day, in front of the computer, I began reading some of the old blogs that still remain, that I once loved, and still do. Anyone recall The C-Cup Chronicles? They still make me laugh out loud, cry, and warm my heart...Then there was TwoScoopsofCrazy, always hilarious. And of course, Jennifer from Random Ramblings. I wonder what her and Walter, the wonderpup, have been busying themselves with. I'm sure she also still "idoling along."
We didn't lose everyone to the move, afterall, Mike and Kathleen and myself are still ever-present. I never found my blogspot to be as homey and comfy as it is here.
Whatever happened to those Weekend Assignments from Mr. Scalzi anyway? Did he run out of questions and scenarios to present to the eager bloggers? Or did he just get a new job?

Until next time, keep on rockin' those beer guts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Marissa - Reading this entry got me to thinking about your beginning so I went back to your earliest entries from 2003. Back then you were feeling the loss of love and were wondering if you could ever find that again. And look at you now... back from a year in Ireland, planning a wedding and starting a new job. You seem to have come so far in such a good way. And now even finding a way to embrace country music. Like an onion you have so many layers. Keep peeling Marissa. Your faithful reader, Mikeg516.