Thursday, October 18, 2007

of accruing and reviewing

So I admit it. I haven't been the best friend I could be. Here I am living my life and not even documenting it on my old friend Egg. There's I'm sure lots of blanks to fill in but we'll get to that some other time. Right now I want to talk about the music I've been grooving out to as of late. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it in list form. Who am I kidding? I'm a list writer. So now, in know particular order (except in list form) are some of my favorite albums ever.

http://www.engel-cox.org/images/Covers/sMannLost.jpg     -Aimee Mann Lost in Space 2002

I think she is the most fantastic person ever. I got to see her in concert in Virginia in July and it was amazing, although she didn't include much from this album at all. Her lyrics beautifully illustrate the despair of drug addiction, losing a love, hitting the road...this album in particular took me some time and appreciation to understand it but there's so much that just pieces together after listening to her work. There is usually some great artwork included in her albums...this one has single shots of black and white cartoon figures---a man alone with his empty beer bottles, the drug store on the corner, a woman sitting on a porch staring at her reflection in the window---they all seem to speak to you, kind of like her lyrics. It's hard to pick a favorite here but I'm going to have to say Humpty Dumpty. Or Invisible Ink. Or...all of them. I also need to interject that Aimee's new CD due out in January called Fucking Smilers and has a great song called 31 Today on it, which can also be found on YouTube.

The image “http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000001EG4.01._AA300_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.  - Elton John Tumbleweed Connection 1970

So first of all I have to express my distaste that my record player's needle is finally busted and I cannot find one anywhere for my particular model. It's been out of commission for way too long. If anyone can help please contact my people aka me. Any help would be monstrously appreciated. I got this album at some garage sale somewhere because when I see Elton John records in decent shape for the right price I'm all over that shit. This is hands down the best thing he has ever created. Unfortunately his quality lowered after Disney got to him. It's like blues-rock-ballad-soul with a bit of good country in there. I specify good country because there is such a thing as BAD COUNTRY and lets not get the two things confused here. My favorite song is Burn Down the Mission. Because that what we need to do if we want to stay alive. Thanks for the tip, Elton.  (Incidentally also what the hooker said to the leper. AYO!)

 The image “http://www.cddesign.com/covertalk/images/supertramp-breakfast%20in%20america-album-cover.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.  -Supertramp Breakfast in America 1979

Supertramp has it all including a harmonica and horns and a rocking keyboard and electric guitar solos....it's so melodic and catchy and rhythmic, oh my. The best song ever is Take the Long Way Home. I'm pretty much a sucker for harmonica and sax.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/photo/photo-x-$7006232$180.jpg  -Radiohead In Rainbows 2007

This is the reason I decided to write this entry. I love that they didn't use a record company to release this album because fuck 'em that's why! Don't give into the profit that runs corporate society! I've spent endless hours trying to figure out how I can make the world a better place and I do so by not buying into cable and mass media, not shopping for new shoes every weekend (anymore...a girl's gotta save sometime. Or spend it on something else) carpooling....basically wherever I can afford to because working for the man is hard enough I don't want all of my money ending up in his accruing debt. At least mine isn't at the $9,056,734,689,078.39 mark yet.
Anyways. This album is brilliant even aside from the intelligent marketing technique. I read a wonderful description of this album in a review somewhere that it is considered to be "sparse" and "lush"...I would call it dreamy. I've listened to it about 25 times now, that ain't no lie. It's hard to pick one favorite here....but I'd have to choose Reckoner or House of Cards.

So that's that. Now I can say I'm no longer listless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where have you been?

Anonymous said...

welcome back lady!! i woke up this morning to a notice i havent seen in years - that there was a new entry in "the egg is cracked"- where i fell in love with little marissa in the first place.

xx
amber in korea <3