Thursday, August 19, 2004

Journals goin illegit

Tonight I spent catching up on my journaling. I read my favorites, I've read favorites of my favorites. And in reading those, I have come across a new trend that maddens me beyond belief.

You remember hearing about drug abusers and sex offenders talking about going legit? In the spirits of that---Journalers are now going private. This means that journals that were once open to everyone to read are now privatized (is that a word?) and one can only gain access with a "key" provided to them by the journaler.

Does that make any sense at all to you? If you want a private journal, don't post it online! March your cute little buns down to the nearset Hallmark Gold Crown store and shell out the $14.95 for a journal...or! If you are too cheap or low on sheckles to do that, grab up a pen and paper and write all you want, privately.

Now, I've always been an Amish kind of a gal. I'm not good with technology. Up until a month or so ago, I didn't even know how to use links or post pictures on my own journal, let alone fool around with some damn keys.

But wait! There's more!

Not only are journalers locking up their once public journals, they are also slacking in the typing area! That's right folks, audio entries are the new carbless way to update in 2004. Think last year's Ben to this year's Marc Anthony.

This whole new thing is infuriating to me! See what happens when you leave for 3 weeks?! Utter madness and insanity ensues. I feel like I turned my head for one minute and next thing I know, life as I knew it changed completely! What's next? Renaming toucans threecans? A waterproof, flame retardant, multicolored cameraphone with psychic abilities? Starbucks in churches?! I'm sick of this other other other white meat stuff. What happened to good old fashioned online blogging? The traditional camera phone? I'm just a girl from New York with a simple dream, is all. Where have all the cowboys gone? And really, who let the dogs out? It's getting old.

One day, I will be glad to just wake and see that nothing has changed a bit. I'd like to take a small hiatus from progress, a break from technology. Let's let ourselves experience on day without innovation, without invention. Let's let medical researchers and computer databasers (now I know I made that one up) take a day off from trying to change the world. Maybe it would change itself, if it weren't for the race to get to the top, make the most money, rule the world.

I admit, I like my cell phone and Grande Soy Chai Latte just as much as the next girl, but enough is enough. If you don't want anyone to read your journal, don't post one. If you want to lock up your creative abilities with a key you hold clenched in a white fist, don't bother writing a journal online. Maybe the path to Hallmark is the right one for you.

This girl has no key besides the one to success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen and bravo sista' look like your flair is returning. i still say its ur fault about that cake. lol. glad to be reading your stuff again.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely.  Now those audio entries are kinda fun, though, cause nobody sounds like they look.  Except Walter, of course.  And I don't get this private business at all.  Write it on Word or Word Perfect, save to disk, and move on.  Geesh.  And if they're so worried and/or annoyed at negative comments, there's that little button that allows for NO COMMENTS!!  Use that instead.  It's much less extreme.  

Or just go to Hallmark.

~~ jennifer