Thursday, August 19, 2004

Weekend Assignment # 20

Weekend Assignment #20: Tell us about your favorite entry of your own from the last 366 days (it's a leap year). Tell us why it still resonates for you. And "favorite" can mean anything you want it to mean: Most amusing, most heartbreaking, most affirmative of yourself, whatever. One good way to think of it is if you could show someone only one entry from your Journal, which one would it be?

Hmm. That's tough. My initial reaction was to quickly scan through all my entries to find the best one, though "quickly scanning" turned into an entire afternoon. I made a list, first. I, like Jennifer, am a bonafide listmaker. Post its aren't my weapon of choice, though, I'm more of a Marriott-free-notepad-in-every-room kind of a gal, myself, but hey- to each her own.

So after my list, I revisited each then narrowed it down. This process was identical to the one used to decide the nominees for Oscar night. However, this plan differed in that instead of giving out the entries on a ballot then deciding, I will give to you the winner first, followed by each of the nominees.

But first and foremost, my acceptance speech.

"I would like to thank myself for being so darn brilliant and witty and for having some of the most insightful wisdom I didn't know I had. I couldn't have done it without you. No, seriously. Get it? Like, if I weren't here then I wouldn't have written it...Not even a titter? Hurry up, play the music or something, I'm dying up here. *nervous laugh* Anyone?" ((((Music starts, P Diddy and Uma Thurman come to walk me off stage))) "Thanks..thank you...Oh! And John Scalzi! Without him, none of this would be possible!" I shout as I'm ushered in a fevered panic off the stage.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, I give to you Marissa at her Finest Hour:

 

Oh, the tangled webs we weave written on: May 30th 2004

 

Interviewed by Babs Walters after the ceremony, Marissa laughed graciously at her win, "I must admit that was some of my best work," the author stated modestly, then joked in response to Babs's next inquiry about her standup routine publicly going awry just moments before her win, "At least they didn't throw tomatoes! This is a Versace!"

And not to leave the other runner-ups out, I give to you a incomplete list of some of my personal favorite journal entries:

 

Marissa's First Time...Skiing

A complete list of Marissa's smart-assed remarks

Bah Humbug: Why Marissa hates Christmas

The Wonder that is Corey Matthews

Spring has Sprung

So, there you have it. Six of the most classic Marissa moments all captured in one digitally remastered collection available for the first time ever. The next six are free of charge when you call the number flashing on the bottom of your screen and send in your $30.00 money order with a 10,000 handwritten essay on why you think you are worthy to recieve the next six entries. You will recieve your order when Marissa feels like doing this again, so stay tuned and keep watching!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that was a wise choice, though i'm more partial to your more cynical and sarcastic entries. i like the way you tell stories, kinda like me, throwing in funny details with a bit of exaggeration for dramatic effect. *round of applause for marissa*

Anonymous said...

::::::::::::applause, applause::::::::::::::::::::

That damn orchestra.  Who's producing this, Dick Clark?

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha, good times.
Corey Matthews, I met his girlfriend this new years and even got to talk to him on the phone, or maybe it wasn't him and Im just an idiot.
Smart assed remarks....good times
I love your favorites as well
Kathleen