Monday, June 27, 2005

These Days

Today I did something I've never done before.

I called into work.

Was I really sick? It's debateable. The way I felt a couple of days before would make it seems like yes, I was actually an ill girl. But truth is, I felt a little better today and am sure if it wasn't so freaking hot out at night I would've been able to sleep, thus get up for work in the morning. But alas, central air does nothing for me.

I don't how I got sick. It could quite possibly be the onset of mono (thanks Tracy! greatest friend ever!) or a bad allergy to the mosquito bites all over my back or just some third-world summer flu. In any case, it sucked.

Between all the running around I've been doing the last week, I must say it is nice to have a day off.  It all started last Thursday...

Thursday turned out to be the greatest day off ever. I had plans to go to Syracuse for the day because I had to pick up Steph (!!!!!) at the airport that night. So my friend Steve and I decided to hit it up beach style. We went and laid out in the sand, waiting for tancer to implant itself in our baking skin, then we swam, laid in the sand some more and then went to eat. Steve and I try to do this three times a summer. It's our thing.

After we ate we went to the amusement park where proceeded to spend about $15 in quarters on Ski-Ball! Did I ever mention I was on Varsity Ski-Ball in high school? I've got the skills. We won over 300 tickets (which evens out to $3.00, respectively) and got to pick out cool prizes. I got a train whistle and a Dino Land setup that comes with little dinosaur figures and rocks and trees and stuff. So cool. Then we thought it might be fun to go on rides. So, for only $14.50, you too can ride two rides! Our choice? The Galaxy! The scariest roller coaster ever! No, it's not the HUGE drops or the corkscrew turns (or lack thereof) that makes this a helluva ride. It's the fact that it's ancient and probably has only one maintenance date a year. The other ride we chose was the "scary" kiddie ride. You know the one. Every amusement park has one. You go in the little train and choo-choo your way through Laughland. So we went on it. And we laughed and laughed at the stuff that used to be scary when we were 8. When all of a sudden...BAM! out of nowhere! Our little car does a quick turn and headlights flash in your face and a car alarm goes off! I don't remember that as a child...good thing I took my Bayer that morning. Otherwise I'm sure I would've had a heart attack.

After that we drove out to Syracuse to go to some record store opening and I met a few of his friends. There was this one I thought was extremely attractive and a little gay, but hey! Obviously that doesn't stop me! I was all flirty-flirty until I found out how old he was.

Smells like statutory rape.

Finally it was time to go pick up Steph, so Steve and I hugged goodbye and I drove to the airport. Don't know if I've ever mentioned it on here, but one of my favorite places in the world to be is in an airport. Her plane was delayed a bit, so I walked around and learned how to pilot an airplane.

I walked to the waiting area near her gate and stod against a wall. I'd look over at all the different people and wondered who they were waiting for. Together we all stood just collectively in anticipation of the hugs and stories and company we were in for.

Her flight was later than even the delay expected, so I sat down next to a nice lady who smiled at me. I was getting tired so I closed my eyes for a while and thought about flying and travelling and how much I love it. I remembered my last few times in airports...the ones in Florida where I cried the whole to the gate and the next time where I kissed him goodbye outside for the last time...the one in New York City with the giant escalators I refused to ride and the one in Switzerland where I was drunk and suggested we have a rave on the monorail and where I saw a real life giant.

I thought about my suitcase and how it was filled with bottles of wine I smuggled from Italy and how I carried my emergency clubbing clothes and white heels with me on my carry-on just in case of, well, a clubbing emergency.

I began to miss everywhere I'd been. And everyone I was there with. All the people I met and the stamps on my passport. I missed Italy and Switzerland and Florida and California...I missed George from Romania and the lady from London and the mean kebap man from the grocery store in Basel. I missed spaghetti in Florida with a boy whose gone and shopping trips with Stephanie when I'd buy too many shoes.

When I opened my eyes again, the plane was unboarding and little by little I began to see who everyone was waiting for. The girl across from me cried as her boyfriend picked her up and hugged her. The grandparents near the gate were thrilled to meet their new grandson for the first time. The husband took the bagsfrom his wife as they walked hand in hand down the stairs. The two friends reunited.

I was so happy to see her. It had been too long and daily phone calls didn't quite cut it anymore. Everytime we'd talk, I'd hear her voice shake as she'd say she wanted to come home. Now she was home.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at me "Johnny on the Spot" of quick comments huh?
Anyway, I give a "yay!" to sick days!
it's very Ferris B of you.
I love the airport too!
So weird, I can't explain it.
Now go have fun with your friend, we'll be here when you get back
p.s If you do go for Steves friend, and it does end up as statutory...can we base a law and order out of it? SVU of course, I can't get enough Stabler
God, I need a life
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

It's called a mental health day around here.  You need one -- you take it.  No questions or discussion.

And those damn kiddie rides can scare the crap outta people.  Ride with caution.

~~ jennifer, who LOVES skeeball.