Monday, June 13, 2005

La Dolce Vita

So, yes...I am back home :)

 

I am promising pictures once I get them developed and onto a cd...I took over 250! And 5 rolls ontop of the Swiss Alps!

I kept a journal of everyday there and will post them along with the pictures in hopefully a week or so.

The trip was amazing...I saw things that most people never get to see in a lifetime. I didn't think I'd like Switzerland as much as I did and to be honest, I would've paid the $2200 just to go there. The 8 hour drive into the Tuscan region of Italy was to die for, just miles and miles of lush green land and farms and mountainsides, with the Swiss Alps still visible behind us (those things are ginormous!) Florence and Rome were both a bit on the ghetto side, that is, dirty streets with flooded with gypsies and pickpocketers (yes, they do exist and I have living proof.) Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed upon arrival, afterall it was the part of Italy they don't show in books. (Shitaly is more like it.) But after a few hours and witnessing things I have studied all my life in school (Michelangelo's The David, the Colosseo, St. Peter's Basilica), I forgave and forgot the crappy wrapping to an otherwise beautiful gift.

By the end of the trip, I was no doubt ready and actually looking forward to coming home. Who woulda thunk it? It's like the say, it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Although I kind of like to think that if I had to, I could easily live in both. Afterall, my Italian speaking skills were so stellar that I gave an Italian lesson over the microphone on the busride in. And alot of the kids from the group would try to hang around me when we went out so I could do all the talking. ...I even got hit on many-a time and flirted back in Italian. It certainly was the sweet life.

Now that I'm back and stunningly refreshed...and suprisingly sound and actually happy, for that matter, I am going through the decision making process of what to do next. I'm contemplating another 2 year school OR a big move. Two opportunities arose while I was away and I'm not so sure I want to let them slip away without giving them a try.

Prospect 1: My uncle bought a thrift store in Rochester (about 3 hours away) and needs someone to run it. Hm. Imagine that? I think I hear a knock...

Prospect 2: I don't know if any of you recall the time I spent last summer working with my aunt in California. (And for those of you who don't recall, I spent last summer working with my aunt in California.) Anyhow, since one of my major goals in life is to run an independantly owned business, I thought there's no better way to learn how than to witness it hands on. She's getting tired of running it by herself and would also like to open another different type of business on the side, but she can't really find the time or help she needs so...I'll take one for the team. Of course you can count on me to move California for the summer, sheesh.

But wait! Don't walk away now! There's more!

I got back Friday night, so Saturday morning I stopped into work to see what everyone was up to and wouldn't you know, by the alignment of the planets, things were going my way. Apparently they promoted me while I was away. Look out, Marissa's a supervisor!

Oh, and one last thing. If after all of this I still decide to stay home and maybe go to school, I won't be too lonely. It's pretty definite Stephanie is coming home :) :) :) !!!!!!!!!! And guess who she's living with!

We don't need no stinkin' men!

It's really nice to be back. This trip was good for me. My outlook has changed a little bit for the better and I am beginning to realize that things do have a way of working out and that most of life is dependant on a state of mind. I'm going to try to keep my chin up for a while and see the things I've been missing out on.

I'm also making plans for a trip next summer with Anthony. Lookout Russia! We are boarding the Trans-Siberian railroad! Next stop, Babushka!

If not, we'll just be a coupla' blokes in London. Tut Tut!

May 30th/31st - Travel days. The busride to NYC wasn't bad, only took 4.5 hours however, I am reassured of why I would NEVER go there. Ever. I don't see the appeal of the Big Crapple. We get on our plane and for the next 7.5 hours, I sat next to a sweet old Romanian man named George, who kept me entertained with stories about his life. After he fell asleep, I proceeded to get a little drunk on the airplane. And by a little I mean alot. We landed in Zurich, my head aching and ass dragging from the lack of sleep. An hour busride later and we were at the hotel in Basel, where we stayed for 3 nights.

I got to my room and took a shower ASAP. My supposed-to-be roomate was at a class, so I had it all to myself. When I stepped in the shower I had my first taste of culture shock...the shower head was ONLY handheld, making it near impossible to wash anything, let alone shave. Now I know why those Europeans have hairy pits. (Although I'm American and I have them, too.) After my shower I headed down to Harley's room and after checking out his fully loaded bathroom (fully loaded meaning a showerhead that was actually attached to the wall), I moved in. That's right, three people to one twin sized bed. This was going to be a fun night.

More to come.   :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your next trip is gonna be half way between wv and ny! we should decide when.

Anonymous said...

yay! Looks at all of your prospects, you've got a big decision ahead of you, I'm jealous.
I love Switzerland too, we stayed in Zurmatt and I found a place behind a chapel where a creek ran through a park...it was the only place in the world where I have understood complete serenity.
Ugh! I am so jealous of you, but so happy you had such an amazing time
Good to have you back
kahleen

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to go there via you.  How exciting to return from a glorious trip to have all of these opportunities just lying at your feet, waiting for you to click your heels and choose.  

But I'm glad you're home.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you a had a great time!  Can't wait to read all of the details!!

http://journals.aol.com/harmonygroove79/GrooveisintheHeart