Sunday, April 25, 2004

90210---or whatever.

I was watching one of the very first episodes of Beverly Hills 90210 today. Matthew Perry (The Chan Chan Man) played an allstar tennis player with not only ambitions to look up Serena and Venus Williams' skirts, but also to kill his father. Or so concerned young Brandon thought.

Picture it: 1990s, West Beverly High, fade in on yet another one of Brenda's pale, ruffled-looking facial expressions, walking hand in hand with Dylan, her James Dean-esque beau clad in none other than a hideous multi-toned striped number that ironically enough matched Brenda's plaid blazer, which, of course, was paired with a pair of classic fit high rise acid washed jeans and cowboy boots. The most fashionable couple of West Bev, I'm sure.

Consequently, during this same episode, Donna (Tori "My dad got me this gig" Spelling) gets a 600 on the SATs. "I'm stupid!" She wails, and lets face it, that some good acting right there. "No, of course you're not stupid, Donna, you have a learning diasbility!" Oh gee, really? Thank God I tuned in on this lovely Wednesday night to get clued in on some of the social and academic problems I myself, as a high school student, may be encompassing in 1991. They were so with it.

I loved how they always tied in some "afterschool special" -type nonsense like suicide, eating disorders, sex, the school paper, wretched outfits into each episode, to make it really reach out to its targeted younger audiences.

Mind you, at the shows beginning, I was 6. When it ended, I was 15. And I watched religiously. I'm talking every Wednesday night. And yes, I even stuck it out with the disappearance of Jason Priestly and the return of Luke Perry. I was there through every heartache, every runaway kid found and brought back to the beach house, every murder, every AIDS patient and every mental breakdown. I suppose you could say 90210 was pretty rad here in the 13501. It was a lifestyle, really.

 

(Not gonna lie, every episode is on tape.)

No comments: