Friday, October 7, 2005

I should have my own show.

socially disturbed | The Dresden Dolls

It's my day off (and a rainy one at that) soooooo....I indulged in a little Dr. Phil. Normally, Dr. Phil isn't my usual cup of tea. Sure, he tells it like it is and in many cases, he's right, but to be honest, I'm not a HUGE fan. The show itself upsets me. It shines light on the jerks and basketcases of society, although some more authentic than others.

Today the topic actually interested me. He was holding debates on some recent "hot" issues and was having a guest on each side of the fence showcase their opinion in a representation of sort of the public opinion.

First came the topic of breastfeeding in public.

What do you think? Is it okay for a fine dining resteraunt to become a fine dining breasteraunt?

My opinion on this is...

No. It's not okay to lift up your shirt, baring your breast and sharing more than an appetizer with any one else at the table (or the resteraunt for that matter). However, it's a non-issue if the mother uses discretion by placing a blanket or a throw to cover herself and her child, at the table.

And No. It's not okay for a resteraunt (or any other public domain) to insist that the breastfeeding mother sit in the BATHROOM to feed her child. The act should be regarded and a special room or area should be designated specifically for it. There is nothing okay about having to sit in a grimy restroom to feed an infant.

It should be accepted by society as long as it's kept polite and respectful. Whipping out your breasts to make a statement is not saying "I have to feed my child," it's saying "I'm being an over-activist." Which most activists are.

Moving along....

The second topic of the show was passing out condoms in school. A do or a don't?

On this issue, I have to agree with the Philmeister. He believes that, if coupled with a sex education class, condoms should be available to students.

And I would also like to add that it is very much the parents responsibility to talk to their children about sex. HOWEVER. It is the school's responsibility to teach their children about sex. Parents have been known to be quite biased. Especially mine.

And the third and last issue...Do strangers have the right to discipline someone else's child that is publicly misbehaving?

No.

But they do have the right to be respectful to the parent on the issue. "Your child is disrupting (insert event here), could you please take care of it?"

Dr. Phil gave the example of having a nice meal that you are paying for or tickets you bought to a show, then being interrupted by an unruly child. Of course that is not okay. Remove the child from the situation. That is the parents responsibility that comes with having a child. Dr. Phil calls it "social sensitivity" and I believe that it should be taken into consideration, instead of being in rude in public because you have the right to do so.

It's not a matter of having and overtly exercising the right to do something. It's a matter of appreciating that you have the right to do something and to use some discretion while doing it.

I think that's a big issue with society today. Most people have become unappreciative toward their rights and have begun abusing them in order to make a "statement." There's always someone wanting to make a statement.

Wanna hear my statement?

Play nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely!  Mutual respect has been tossed in the toilet in favor of mine v. yours.

Good job!

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

oh god, I was so embaressed to be watching Dr. Phil today, I'm glad someone else did too.
Kathleen