Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Pray it all away.

sad | all of the noise in my head

Tonight on the way home from work I passed a body lying in the street. His bike was a few yards away, the back tire spinning. A car was parked with it's flashers behind him.

I called 911. I wished there was more I could do.

I went to John's a little while later, still really upset and he told me all I could do was pray for him.

I think that was the first time I really wished I could pray. And I tried it for a little while, while we laid in bed but I couldn't. My mind just kept listening to the ticking of the clock on his wall. It was funny I never seemed to notice it before. I closed my eyes and all I could see was his body and all the people standing around him. The back tire still spinning. My gasp. I finally gave up and got up and got dressed, told John goodnight and got in my car. I felt really small behind the wheel, all of a sudden. I drove back to where it happened only a few hours before.

As I suspected, it was like any other night...I was the only car on the road at 2 a.m. I wondered if anything really happened at all.

I turned around to drive home and saw a star twinkling in the sky.

I prayed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got no words here.

This was beautiful, Marissa.  And so sad.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's so sad.
I'm sorry.
~Mandy~

Anonymous said...

aaw, sweetie, i heart you.