Friday, March 5, 2004

I think I wish I was

When I was in high school, which wasn't too long ago...

There was a clique of "popular" girls. They wore velour jumpsuits with "Juicy" written on the ass and walked around chatting aimlessly on their cellular phones, carelessly running up thier parent's bills. They smoked, but didn't inhale. They drove fancy little coupes and monstrous SUVs, in silver or black.

They'd stand around in the halls in big groups, making it near impossible for anyone to pass through to get to their next class on time. All the so-called "cool" kids would show up late and laugh half-heartedly as they got reprimanded. Then the kids like me would roll their eyes and glare, knowing full well we got there on time and didn't interrupt class with crude remarks and dumb questions. "Dumb questions?" Said Science Teacher, "There are no dumb questions."

"Of course there are." I whisper to the girl with the red hair next to me.

The clock ticks.

"If someone was travelling at the speed of sound would they still be able to hear their walkman?" Asks stupid kid with spikey hair.

"And there you have it." I whisper.

I sit silently and stare at the desk as I get yelled at for talking during class. Spikey haired kid just cackles in the back with his non-conforming conformist friends. They look at him to make sure that's something to laugh about, then follow suit.

Whispers taunt me at my turned back. I'd turn around to give them a pice of my mind, but they already had too much of it by then. I shouldn't give them another thought, I knew, but still my head was filled to the brim, my cheeks red.

I walk out of class, alone, through the crowds in the halls. And I think to myself, "I'm glad I'm not one of them." But looking back, I think I wish I was.

No comments: