Sunday, December 14, 2003

What Grandpas Are Made Out Of

My grandpa was one of those guys you just had to love. He was the most lovable man in the world. He was kind, gentle and all the other great things grandpas are made out of. Sometimes we would dance in the kitchen, with me on his feet, and he would sing "...and little lambs eat ivy..."

I don't remember a whole lot about him, although we had 12 wonderful years together before his disease stole him away. I do remember, however, his entire wardrobe, which consisted of a magenta-y polo shirt which he would wear with khakis and if it was the winter, he'd wear it with this blue sweater with an alligator on it. My gram says that he didn't like the alligator but thought the sweater was quality so he wore it anyway. He also had an array of ties which, when he died, was distributed to the men of the fam. I was jealous so I asked for one too and I got it for Christmas (and cried and cried and cried.) I still have it and will always keep it. That way I can keep grandpa close to my heart.

He loved golf. And the Simpsons. And the Food Network. When he bought new dishes for his kitchen he had to buy a set that would enhance the beauty of the macaroni. When we would sleep over grandma's when we were younger, we'd eat breakfast with him before he went to work. We'd have toast and hot chocolate, but he wouldn't let us leave until we ate the crust. So we waited until he left the table and gram let us throw it away. Later on we'd go to pick him and practice blowing bubbles with our gum in the car. That's where I learned. We'd also do crossword puzzles and word searches while we waited for him. And sometimes he would snore so loud he'd wake us up at night. So my sister and I would play cards until they got up, then we'd pretend to be asleep.

I didn't know why my grandfather died. No one bothered to tell me, everyone thought I was too young, which I can understand, it's alot for a 12 year old to deal with. I couldn't go to his wake and I'm glad. I would've been traumatized. I would never want to see my dear grandfather in a box in a suit. I want to see him dancing with me in the kitchen and watching the Simpsons and hear him snoring loud. Not laying lifelessly all of a sudden to be buried forever.

Although I'm surrounded by a family that fills my heart with love, I'm still so incredibly lonely for him. It's like an unquenchable thirst.

No comments: