Monday, January 19, 2004

My Favorite Poem

My favorite poem as a child was this, and I am typing from memory, mind you.

"My New Shoes"

See my new shoes

so bright and so black

a bow at the front

a tap at the back

they're only for parties

Mother tucks them away

but sometimes I find them

and I dance and I play

I click and I clatter

all down the hall

oh how I love my new shoes

but Dad doesn't at all.

 

That brings me back. To a time when life was simple. When life consisted of nothing more than mudpies and catepillars and all boys had cooties. Well, some still do. I wish I still had my childhood naivete and innocence to protect me from the harshness of the outside world but unfortunately, this little mudpie-making catepillar-catching girl has grown up and she's all alone.

No comments: