Friday, July 9, 2004

Goin' to California!

It is true. So very true. The tickets are purchased, the days are marked on my calendar. One huge, bright yellow sunshine marks the day July 27th. I'm goin' to California! I'm goin' to California! *does dance*

I told my sister-in-law about my trip last night. "You're going to meet a guy out there and never come back." She said.

I laughed. "I doubt it. Why would some hot Californian surfer guy want a girl from New York, when he's surrrounded by these beautiful blonde beach babes 24/7?"

"You wait." She said.

I'm waiting. Impatiently.

The last time I went to California it was 7 years ago. I was a rather visually unpleasant, awkward 12 year old with braces. I wore oversized t-shirts and black Converse high tops. My fashion sense was a little off. I remember flying into the LA airport and pressing my face up to the cool glass. I saw palm tress in the distance. Something told me right then, that this was the place of all places for me. We then boarded our 6 seat airplane and flew over the Pacific ocean (or some body of water, not quite sure) sideways, and landed in Palm Springs just as the sun was setting. It was orange. A very vibrant, neon orange with traces of pink pastel hanging in the sky. We got off the plane and were instantly welcomed by a haze of heat, looming over miles of sand.

We spent the first week in Palm Springs, as my father had business to attend to. There was nothing more to do than hang out by the pool, and that's what my mother, sister and I did. All day. Every day. We drank virgin Strawberry daquiries and listened to the poolside band play "Mr Sandman" over and over again, as per my request. Life was good for that week.

After that, we went to SanFransisco, Monterey Bay and Sausalito for the day. (Imagine that! 3 sights in one day!) SanFransisco was my calling. It was as if it was made for me. I shopped and admired all the people. I loved the structure of it. The idea of it. Everything. To me, a small city girl from the east coast who had never really left the state, SanFransisco was all it was cracked up to be. It was exciting, exhilarating. I wanted to be a part of it. So when the night came and it was time to leave, I knew it wouldn't be the lsat time I visited there. I guess I was right.

We then mosied up, down, around (or whatever the location was) to Carmel. My family and all 4 of my aunts and their families rented a house on the oceanside, where we stayed for the remainder of our trip. We shopped and ate alot. We went to the beach and to Santa Cruz and rode the roller coaster in the sand. Everything there seemed so much more amazing than everything back home. It was April. It was still snowing at home. It was 80 degrees in California.

Unboarding the plane in Syracuse, NY was one of the most depressing things ever. There was still snow on the ground. I still had to go to school. I was tired after 6 or 7 hours of travelling. I was no longer in California. That moment sucked.

So here I am now. This is my chance. I am 19 years old, I'm no longer so uncomfortable in my skin, awkward in my age, dressed like a 10 year old boy. I'm gradually turning into a woman, with ideas, with aspirations and I'm making my first step. Maybe this is my calling. Maybe the fact that all the classes I have taken in college so far are all non-transferrable (shudders) is fate for me to go out of state. Or get a job. Or move away. Or travel. I don't know. I used to be comfortable and cozy with my plans. And now, not having any past August 17th, is sort of scary, but exciting at the same time.

Wish me luck. Tell me your stories. Give me advice. Give me wisdom. Or just leave a comment. Calm my nerves. Pray to the demigods. Eat, drink and be Merry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh christ Im jealous.
Bring me back a gorgeous surfer boy
*involuntary servitude*
at least just for one night!
Have fun and be safe!
Kathleen