Friday, July 16, 2004

Popeye and Scrooge, a good couple, no?

Weekend Assignment #15: Tell us about the the most disgusting food/drink you've ever had in your mouth. Please note that I'm emphasizing the words "food and/or drink" -- No fair talking about the time you ate an earthworm or Play-Doh, or drank antifreeze, or ate something else that doesn't actually constitute food. You know what I'm talking about, here. Let's all be grown-ups, shall we. Real food, please: It can be badly prepared, strange and awful, accidentally rancid or whatever, but it's gotta be something someone somewhere recognizes as food.

Extra Credit: Name an actual food product that was so awful that you couldn't even bring yourself to try it.

 

I'm sure you are expecting something different and perhaps strange, when in fact the grossest thing I have ever eaten was an everyday food,and Popeye's favorite. Yes, it's spinach. How I hate it.

I wasn't ever one of those "picky" eaters. I eat alot of different things and, as a kid, always ate my vegetables. (Sometimes I'd even choose them for snack of potato chips. Apparently this is abnormal behavior for a 7 year old?)

Spinach is downright gross. It's leafy, bitter...what's there to love? Honestly, Popeye, I just don't see it, or taste it for that matter.

And the most sickening beverage I've ever had? Yes, I am scrooge. I hate eggnog. I hate it. It may be a texture thing, but texture aside, it is still not gooooood.  Ack.

Extra credit: Tripe. Just the name doesn't sound right to me. Tripe sounds like a polynomial or a shape or a boat. The SS Tripe. And the fact that it's intestines doesn't make it anymore appetizing than it already isn't.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most disgusting food/drink I've had in my oral cavity has to be CANNED asparagus cooked until it was the consistency of slime swamp marsh. The worst "drink" I had was what I thought was apple juice in the refrigerator but was...yep, you guessed it...a mean prank pulled by a college dorm roommate. (It did achieve what she wanted...I no longer took a swig of juice from the apple juice jar...in fact, I never drank apple juice again! Her urine sample, by the way, made its way out of my gut and onto the floor where it remained until she cleaned it up...only fair, I figured.)

Pam Hurley (grown up now but still hates apple juice)

Anonymous said...

Aw Marissa..I love spinach.  With just a little spash of vinegar.  Of course, everything's green the next day, if you know what I mean.  But I'm with you on the tripe.  I won't even feed tripe snacks to the wonderpup.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Oh well.. different tastes.  I love spinach myself, but can't stand the canned crap.  But preparing it fresh with lots of butter, yum!  Eggnog makes me gag, too and thank God they only drag that stuff out once a year.  ¤Holly

Anonymous said...

 Okay, so... you want bad, weird, can't get over the fact that you even had that in your mouth for more than five seconds kind of food?  Turn to England.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, perhaps you know the little British delicacies called minced pies.  Tiny round tufts of dough filled with minced meat.  Lovely, scrumptuous, so-good-I-could-eat-an-entire-plate-of-them-alone-in-my-room mouth watering little snacks.  With the dough, that is.  But try minced meat alone and By Godfrey are you in for a surprise.  Yeah.  Think Brandy, raisins, and a collaboration of a million other fruits that don't grow on American soil all in your mouth at once, covered in a viscous slime.  Cold.  Yes.  England...  *dreamy sigh*