Friday, June 25, 2004

Weekend Assignment #11 : Summer Tunes

Weekend Assignment #11: Tell us what you think is the perfect Summer Song. And you know what a "summer song" is, of course: The song that seems to promise sunny fun from the first chords to the final drumbeat, the ones that are just made to be played in a convertable as you're cruising your way to that beach party.

Extra Credit: Tell us what you think is the best song for the last day of summer. I imagine this could be anything: A big "last blast" party song, a meditative love song about changing seasons, or anything in between.

Ok...

Let me just start off by saying "Summertime" by the Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff is way at the top of the list here. It straight up reminds me of cruisin' around in a droptop, hitting on the ladies in short shorts...not. It reminds me of a bad rap song gone awry, ala Willenium.

And also, I didn't even consider any of the Beach Boys songs. They all sound summery but unfortunately we are forced to hear them all year round. With a name like Beach Boys, you can't really have much other material.

The song that reminds me of summer more than anything that is not a Beach Boys song (which doesn't leave many to choose from) has to be "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"   ...that she wore for the first time today...

Funny story... when I was in 6th grade it was imperative that I participated in the "Spring Fling Choir Concert" even though I had a crippling fear to appear in public, wearing a goofy dress, singing on a set of unstable risers. The whole thought of it made me nauseous.

But being absent from choir class the day before the big concert, I wasn't there to defend myself when the entire class took a unanimous vote to nominate me as the "Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini" girl. But that's not the worst part.

The worst part is this:

It was a cardboard bikini. Cardboard. 

And...can you believe it? It gets worse!

I had to stand in a kiddie sized pool on the stage! In the cardboard bikini! And sing the song!

So you'd imagine my humiliation. And now you understand why I'm taking a Public Speaking class. It's not only time to get over my fear, it's time to move past the public humiliation of being the "girl in the cardboard bikini." Did I mention they also threw water at me? Classic.

This song not only reminds of summer, but it makes me cringe in the process.

And for the extra credit---- although I should get Extra Extra Extra credit for telling my totally embarrassing story....

The song that most reminds me of the last day of summer would have to be..."Walking in the Sand" by the Shangri-Las.

It's got everything. A love story. The end of summer. It's bittersweet and heartfelt by the 3 Shangri-Las and you can really feel and relate to their doo-wops in the background. I can just smell the hot dogs grilling and the sand in my teeth...on a beach where cold cola flows like wine. Ah, summer. Wasn't it great?

Up until my cardboard bikini got soaked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL ...that is classic, I just laughed out loud at work, so now my customers think I am crazy!
Crazy Lady!
Just not in a poka dot bikini!
Kathleeen