Thursday, June 3, 2004

The Wubbulous World of Polygons and Stout Men with Bubbly Personalities

My math teacher for this summer is the quintessential example of a teacher...he's squat, balding and quirky. His glasses are constantly sliding down his nose, only to be pushed up forcefully with a finger and a shrug.

"Do you know what a decagon is folks? A decagon is a polygon with 10 sides! Sorry to interrupt the previous turns of events but I know for a fact that you wouldn't be able to go on without knowing that tidbit of information. It's vital to your existence."

It is, I thought. Why, without knowing that a decagon has 10 sides I would not have made it very far at all!

Anyways.......point is this....He's a Milton/ Newman lookalike. Milton of Office Space fame and Newman from Seinfeld. Uncanny.

I was suprised to walk into my class on the first day and see him standing there, pleasantly, his hands folded on the desk. He wore a pair of cargo shorts with a tie and had an array of gel pens in ever color imagineable in his shirt pocket. He seemed nice enough. When I raised my hand, later that class, and answered a question incorrectly (which is exactly why I don't do that anymore) and he exclaimed, after a short pause for dramatic effect, "NO! You're wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA" 

It's true. Actual, real life evil laughter. It sounds cruel, but I wasn't offended. I had to laugh. He's hilarious.

And he's the reason I roll out of bed every morning at 8:30 am, though reluctantly, to rise only to mess around with my calculator and go home 2 hours later. For 3 credit hours, it's worth it.

 

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christ, does he teach Biology? Because I think I had him, only...the evil laughter came all the time....ewww
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

come visit me when you get done w/ summer school. the greyhound is pretty cheap. it'll be fun. i told my mom about you all the time, i wish she could have met you friend.